Don’t have time to watch the almost 1 hour long Mark Cerny talk, here is a list of all the specs of the upcoming PlayStation 5:
- CPU: Zen 2 chip with 8 cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- Architecture: Custom AMD RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
Other good news is that the PS5 will be backward compatible with the PS4 and PS4 Pro. No news on any older console BC though. You can also add an external drive to play your PS4 library to maintain this collection.
The justification for the 825GB SSD is that most users only play a handful of games on rotation, and those who need to play older titles should re-download them when needed. You can download the PS4 games to this SSD if you would like, but it won’t improve the performance much.
Sony has also claimed that the machine can load games 100 times faster! Many minor tweaks in almost every aspect of the console with custom chips for specific tasks to make them faster than anything else on the market.
The Mark Cerny talk is very technical, and we know it all makes a difference. All we really want is to see some games!