Requirements of the PS5’s M.2 SSD expansion storage is quite specific, use this guide to make sure you select the right one.
|Interface||PCI-Express Gen4x4 supported M.2 NVMe SSD (Key M)|
|Storage||250 GBâ€“4 TB|
|Supported sizes||2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110|
|Size including heat-dissipation mechanism||Width: up to 25 mm|
Length: 30/40/6080/110 mm
Thickness: up to 11.25 mm (up to 8.0 mm from above the board, up to 2.45 mm from below the board)
|Sequential read speed||5500 MB/s or faster is recommended|
|Socket type||Socket 3 (Key M)|
Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink and a heat transfer sheet. You can attach these to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format or double-sided format (single-sided cooling structures are an easier fit). There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in. For information on how to attach the heat dissipation mechanism, check the instructions that come with it.
- Both single-sided and double-sided M.2 SSD devices are supported.
- M.2 SATA SSDs aren’t supported.
- You should carefully review drive specifications prior to purchase and contact the vendor or manufacturer if you need further information.Â SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console, and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.
- Not all games are necessarily playable with exactly the same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500Â MB/s.
- The majority of M.2 SSD devices with the above type numbers (M Key Type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110) and without a built-in cooling structure will fit the PS5 console’s SSD slot. However,Â sizes for cooling structures (like heatsinks) vary greatly. If you are not sure that an M.2 SSD or cooling structure (such as a heatsink) that you’re considering meets the size requirements outlined here, we recommend looking for another product option or contacting the vendor or manufacturer for more information.
Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction and prevents you from ordering the wrong SSD.